Hazardous Waste Disposal for Businesses & Organizations
Hazardous waste is everywhere.
Common examples of hazardous waste are fluorescent light tubes, cleaning products, left over paint, paint thinner, toner, all types ond sizes of batteries, automotive products and most aerosol products.
Survey your supply cabinet, cupboards and storage areas. Count the number of products that carry signal words like danger, warning, toxic, flammable, corrosive or explosive. Round up the products you do not need and dispose of them -- the right way. If you have a question about the correct disposal of a product, call Recology Yuba-Sutter at (530) 743-6933.
Proper disposal of hazardous waste may reduce on-the-job- injuries, protect workers who handle waste and protect the environment.
Some products, like copier and printer toner cartridges, can be recycled. Other products like left over paint can be combined and reused. The interior of the Yuba-Sutter YMCA is sporting a fresh coat of our "custom blended" recycled cream color paint.
Schedule an appointment to see how our staff can help you develop a legal hazardous waste disposal plan. The commercial hazardous waste disposal program is open to all Yuba-Sutter County businesses, government and non-profit agencies, churches, schools and medical practices.
As a rule of thumb, if you haven't used a product within a year, you won't. Surplus materials may be placed in the Reuse Center at the Yuba-Sutter Household Hazardous Waste Facility for reuse.
Yuba-Sutter Household Hazardous Facility
134 Burns Drive, Yuba City (off of Garden Highway in South Yuba City)
M-F (530) 743-6933 • Sat (530) 671-6900
The Yuba-Sutter Household Hazardous Waste Facility is open by appointment for commercial customers.
- Limited to businesses, government and non-profit agencies physically located in Yuba or Sutter County. Proof of eligibility may be required.
- California law limits the amount of waste that can be self-hauled to 15 gallons or 125 lbs. of hazardous waste or 20 gallons of waste oil per trip.
- Transport hazardous waste in containers no larger than 5 gallons. Larger containers, such as 55 gallon drums, can not be accepted.
- 27 gallons or 220 lbs. is the maximum amount of hazardous waste that may be disposed of by one business or organization per month at the Yuba-Sutter Household Hazardous Waste Facility. These limits are established by the State of California.
- Businesses or organizations will be charged a fee for disposal based on the amount and type of waste materials.
The Regional Waste Management Authority and Recology Yuba-Sutter have implemented an Electronic Waste Recycling Program for Yuba and Sutter County residents and businesses. Electronic waste items can now be recycled at two locations -- the Recology Yuba-Sutter Transfer Station and at the Yuba-Sutter Household Hazardous Waste Facility in Yuba City. Televisions, monitors and other electronic waste must be packed, transported and unloaded so as to avoid breakage. Please contact the Recology Yuba-Sutter Environmental Department at (530) 743-6933 for assistance in disposing of equipment with broken screens or broken cathode ray tube (CRT) glass.
Examples of recyclable electronic waste items:
- Televisions and computer monitors
- Telephones and answering machines
- Computers and computer peripherals
- Stereo and video equipment
- Microwave ovens
- Portable LCD screen DVD players
Disposal of these items in garbage or recycling containers is prohibited.
Recology Yuba-Sutter Transfer Station
Electronic waste items can be recycled at the Recology Yuba-Sutter Transfer Station located at 3001 N. Levee Road off of Highway 20, just east of Marysville. Consumer electronic materials are accepted at this facility 7 days a week from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Electronic waste items are accepted free of charge, however disposal weight charges will be assessed on the entire load if other non-electronic waste items are included in the load. (Residents and businesses must be able to unload and carry their own equipment.) Businesses, schools, non-profits and government agencies must complete an Electronic Waste Delivery/Collection Tracking Form or a bill of lading certifying that the electronic waste is from a California source. Businesses and other entities with large numbers of electronic waste items must also call Recology Yuba-Sutter at (530) 743-6933 in advance to schedule a drop off. Collection of electronic waste can also be arranged for a fee.