Just open your cupboards and closets or check the shelves in your garage and hobby area and count the number of products that have the words caustic, corrosive, danger, explosive, flammable, poison, toxic or warning on them.
Thousands of common household, automotive, lawn, garden, hobby, cosmetic and home improvement products are toxic, flammable, corrosive, or reactive. These items should not be thrown out with your regular trash or garbage. They are hazardous to waste collection workers and to the environment.
Additionally, keep items identified as dangerous out of the reach of small children and pets. According to the American Association of Poison Control Centers, 60% of all poisonings are of children under six years of age. The most common products involved in these poisonings were household and chemical products, drugs (prescription and over-the-counter), and cosmetics.