The Regional Waste Management Authority (RWMA) is a joint powers authority established by agreement between Sutter and Yuba Counties and the Cities of Live Oak, Marysville, Wheatland and Yuba City and provides solid waste management planning and compliance services for the Yuba-Sutter region. The Fourth Amended and Restated Regional Waste Management Authority Joint Powers Agreement became effective November 1, 2021, and was primarily amended so that the RWMA could address specific requirements of SB 1383 for the region, including:
- Adopting and enforcing ordinances governing compliance with the SB 1383 regulatory requirements;
- Conduct capacity planning for organic waste recycling and edible food recovery;
- Performing compliance monitoring through route reviews, container contamination and other inspections;
- Determining the applicability of waiver requests; and,
- Determining whether violations have occurred, and issuing Notices of Violations and administrative penalty citations.
The RWMA Board of Directors adopted the RWMA Mandatory Organic Waste Disposal Reduction Ordinance on January 20, 2022, with an effective date of February 19, 2022. This ordinance addresses the mandatory organic waste recycling/composting, edible food recovery, and inspection and enforcement requirements directed by SB 1383 as further described in the next sections of this website.
The collection service agreements between Recology Yuba-Sutter and each city and county in the Yuba-Sutter region provide for organics and recyclable materials recycling and composting programs necessary for organic waste generators to comply with the recycling/composting requirements of SB 1383 through a combination of collection and self-haul opportunities.